Wednesday, July 31, 2013

What I learned today

One fun part of living in a massive city, is that it is inevitable that I will constantly learn new things.  The purpose of this blog entry is to tell you about all the new things I learned today.  That's right, folks. Fresh off the press.  I know you can hardly contain your excitement....

TODAY

1. I learned from an incredible source(Curious George) that NYC has a squad of skippers that float in the ocean every day, skimming trash out of the water with giant nets.  I pondered this for quite some time while my kids continued to watch the rest of the cartoon.  Pretty soon, I was googling it. Then, I was thinking, "Hey, this would be a great job.  Maybe I should do this some day." THIS, my friends, is why I have gone to 3 different colleges with 6 or more areas of study, and currently work at Starbucks.

2. You can't walk the streets of Brooklyn at 11pm and eat an egg salad sandwich.  Well, you CAN, but all you will taste is rotten sewage.

3. NYC squirrels are quite aggressive.  I had one run under my ponytail while I was sitting on a park bench.  Totally nutty.

4. Living on the first floor of an apartment building definitely has it's perks. The fact that FEDEX, UPS, USPS, and their mothers all ring MY doorbell to deliver everyone else's packages is not one of them. 5, yes 5, door bell rings just today!

5. " Brooklyn Water Bug" is just a cute way of saying  " Massive nasty creepy cockroach".  My skin is still crawling.

6. When you walk into a meat market, and everything is written in Polish, you most certainly will get ripped off. I asked for a pound of ground beef, and was apparently given the best part of Bessie. I think Bessie was made out of gold.

So, those are just a few of the many things I learned in a single day in this lively, diverse city. I have to admit, no matter how strange the experiences, the fact that they are new experiences is a huge part of why this city has my heart. This place is heaven for all senses. Life's too short to not be interesting, so Brooklyn, Brooklyn take me in!

2 comments:

  1. First of all, WHY ARE YOU EATING AN EGG SALAD SANDWICH WHILE WALKING DOWN THE STREET AT 11PM?!?
    Second, maybe some of your Polish neighbors should join you on your next trip to the Polish meat market. Or i can try to learn Polish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole, I am currently attempting to learn Polish. I know how to say kitchen, home, hi, yes, and toilet. It's a start :)

    ReplyDelete